Astragalus is an herbal supplement that has been used for centuries in traditional Chinese medicine. It’s purported to enhance the immune system and reduce inflammation. It’s also used to help treat heart conditions, kidney disease and more. Some of the benefits include:
- May Boost Your Immune System. Astragalus may help enhance your immune system to prevent and fight bacterial and viral infections, including the common cold.
- May Improve Heart Function in those with certain heart conditions. Though research findings are mixed, astragalus may help improve heart function in patients with heart failure and reduce symptoms of myocarditis.
- May Alleviate Side Effects of Chemotherapy. When given intravenously in a hospital setting, astragalus may help alleviate nausea and vomiting in those undergoing chemotherapy.
- May Help Control Blood Sugar Levels. Studies indicate that astragalus supplements may help control blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes. However, more research is needed.
- May Improve Kidney Function. Some studies suggest that astragalus may help improve kidney function in those with kidney disease. It may also prevent infections in those with reduced kidney function.
Astragalus is generally well tolerated but should be avoided if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, have an autoimmune disease or are taking immunosuppressant drugs. Evidence is limited and information is not to be used as diagnostic or treatment purposes. Please talk to your doctor if you plan on adding any products to your diet.